Obstetrics and Gynecology are often mistaken to be the same, but they are actually two different types of medical specialty, which in general focuses upon the reproductive system of women. There has been various growth and changes in this field of medicine, over time, where both the practitioners in today’s time are trained together, which is why, both are assumed to be a single field of specialty. You must have seen the abbreviation of it many times as OBG, O&G, or OB/GYN.
Although they are classified as one medical specialty, there are some differences in both. Obstetrics basically focuses upon the pregnancy care, delivery, labor, and unborn baby. It also deals with the postnatal and prenatal health of the child as well as the mother, that is to ensure that the recovery and delivery is done without any complications.
Where as, gynecology focuses upon the ailment of reproductive organs such as vagina, ovaries, cervix, fallopian tubes, and uterus. Gynecologist would also treat any problems related to urinary system, bladder, and bowel, as they are related closely to woman reproductive system. There are many best obstetrics and gynecology doctors, who require training of 4 years minimum after having general degree in medical field.
So a gynecologist specializes in the medical field of gynecology and obstetrician specializes in the medical field of obstetrics. Both fields usually intertwine, with 90 percent of the gynecologist do deliver babies as well, hence the reason we see on most clinic doors OB/GYN. Over time, some of the OB/GYN prefer to stop taking any delivery cases, to either spend time more with their own families or in office. These gynecologists do make diagnoses on pregnancy, but later are referred for care further to the obstetricians.
The types of procedures performed are also different in both specialties. In obstetrics, the major procedures are:
- External Cephalic Version: This process is used to turn the baby around, when they are in womb, and to face baby to correct direction. This is usually performed on mothers who wish to have vaginal delivery.
- C-Section or Caesarean: When vaginal delivery doesn’t work out, obstetrician remove baby from the womb by surgical process.
- Cervical Cerclage: This process is used to strengthen the cervix area of woman to avoid the chances of miscarriage.
In gynecology, the procedures in general include reproductive tract, by either modifying or removing its part. They include of:
- Hysterectomy: This procedure requires removal of female’s womb, and it could be done in several ways, including robotically, laparoscopically, abdominally, or vaginally.
- Laparoscopy: This involves the treatment and diagnosis with the help of camera, as well as some specialized instruments. It includes easier recovery with smaller scars, compared to open surgery that is called laparotomy.
- Cone Biopsies: It removes the precancerous cells that are there in cervix area, which can be performed in hospital or office usually called LEEP.
Reproductive system of woman is intensive which is why there are two different types of entities or specialties for it. You will find some of the best gynecology hospital in India which offer the best medical treatment.